Monday, March 12, 2007

Bittersweet....

This post...I really don't know what to say. Well I mean I know what to say but I just have really mixed emotions right now.

I hung out with my boyfriend today and I had an AMAZING time. We kissed for like an hour or two as usual...omg....kissing him is great. He may not be the best kisser that I have ever had, but I know that he actually feels attracted to me. Like I can tell by his eyes and his body language and that is all I need. There is passion, and I love that. It hasn't been long, but I love his company, he makes me smile and all that good stuff.

We had a crazy day because I got my car stuck in the ditch of my sisters friend's house. And he was there and helped me get the car out...though now part of the girls' lawn is messed up lol.

But yeah, I care about this guy...I can seriously almost cry with how much that I care about this guy. The only problem (and the main reason that I cannot tell my parents about him) is because he is black-american. And I know...I know...I never thought that I would ever find myself in this position. I never thought that I would be dating a black-american, and yet here I find myself liking one...a lot. And in a relationship with one, and we really care about each other a lot. Am I supposed to just deny my feelings for this guy?

Okay...maybe I have not completely addressed the problem. So yeah...my parents have made it clear forever that any guy I would be in a relationship (and then eventually marry) would have to be either white or Nigerian. I used to think that that would not be hard, like I've had my "white boy" and my "Nigerian/African guy" phase (not that these have all permanently passed). But like I said before...I met this guy at a party one day and that was it. Though my last boyfriend was Nigerian (didn't tell my parents about him either though...that was the age thing lol).

They have made it clear that if I ever came back with a black boy they would disown me. And I don't want to be disowned...especially as a woman, it's hard. But I really care about this guy. He is sooo unbelievable sweet, and the things he says to me...I could fall in love with him. He's not like the average guy, and he's not ghetto or anything. So I don't know...I'm just not going to tell my parents for now...in fact I can't tell him why I can't tell my parents either...or at least I can't tell him right now.

That is my ordeal and any input would be great appreciated. I really need everyone's advice on this.

9 comments:

Jayn Sean said...

..lol..lemme go take a shit..i'll be back in a giffy okay?..

Jayn Sean said...

..i'm back.Parents! O.M.G..you'll always leave their life.No matter how much you try to be an average child,anything you tryina do will have to be of their approval.Now..ermm..all i can say to the matter is listen to your heart.No! i'm not singing Roxette's song but i'm saying when you look deep inside you,what is it that you want?..ahem..now stick to that!

chidi said...

hmmmm.....i really dnt know wat to say. most of my freinds have tild me that their parents said that if dey shld not even think of marrying someone who isn't nigerian talkless of a white guy. i understand ur dilemma, but i think everything depends on you. your parents will not live your life for you. You have to live wit this guy so if u think he is right for you, go ahead. dnt let anything hold you down but make sure you are not making a mistake 1st so ur parents wnt have 2 say, i tld u so.

chidi said...

hmmmm.....i really dnt know wat to say. most of my freinds have tild me that their parents said that if dey shld not even think of marrying someone who isn't nigerian talkless of a white guy. i understand ur dilemma, but i think everything depends on you. your parents will not live your life for you. You have to live wit this guy so if u think he is right for you, go ahead. dnt let anything hold you down but make sure you are not making a mistake 1st so ur parents wnt have 2 say, i tld u so.

Confused Naija Girl said...

most naija parents disaprove of african american guys. y ou just have to live your life and you are still young so they may change their minds

Anonymous said...

i would have to agree with chidi, if u r sure u r not making a mistake (can we ever be sure?),, then stick with him. if your parents love u too they cant disown you. anyway, nice blog too. keep it up. wish i had such style and wit.mine is drab (http://an-ibo-dudes-corner.blogspot.com/). cheers

princesa said...

Hey dearie!
I feel ur pain.its not just about ur guy being an African American, NO! Even at home here in Naija, Our parents are so narrow minded when it comes to inter ethnic marriages. U hear a typical Ibo parent telling their child not to marry someone from the yoruba or hausa and same with the Yoruba man who ill disown his chid for daring to bring an Ibo man home. The hausa parents, Well........ let me save that gist.
I am a strong believer of "Follow thy heart" and if ur heart is this guy, then why not, stick to him as long as he feels the same way about u and not just playing with ur feelings.
Does his parents accept u?
Dont forget to pray about it too. It helps.
Cheers.
Princess.

BeautyinBaltimore said...

So they would take a white boy before an African-American-SAD. OUR PEOPLE OUR PEOPLE. I wish you luck my dear life is full of hard decisions.

BeautyinBaltimore said...

I forgot to mention that I like your blog too.